If you’re thinking about visiting Whitehead Railway Museum in Carrickfergus, County Antrim, here is everything you need to know before you go.
Housed in an old Edwardian railway station, Whitehead Railway Museum is a five-gallery museum where you can explore centuries-old train parts, carriages, and everything locomotive related.
At the Whitehead Railway Museum, you get to see these historic machines brought back to life and learn all about Irish railway heritage.
So, if you were thinking of visiting, here’s everything you need to know and some top tips for your trip.
Ireland Before You Die’s top tips for visiting Whitehead Railway Museum:
- It is strongly recommended to book your tickets online before your visit.
- Bring your phone and headphones along with you to the museum to enjoy their excellent audio tour.
- Download a museum map on your phone to highlight points of interest throughout the museum.
- Check out the quaint Platform 3 café for a cup of tea by the fire or a cold drink outside when the sun is out. There is a range of vegan options available, too.
- If you have dietary requirements, you can let the museum know when booking.
- The museum is fully accessible for those who are mobility impaired.
Fun facts about Whitehead Railway Museum:
- Whitehead Railway Museum first opened in 2017 as part of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland.
- The collection of locomotives is one of the most popular attractions at the museum, including the iconic Guinness train No.3.
- At the Whitehead Railway Museum, you have the unique opportunity to learn all about Irish railway history and heritage.
- There is so much to see and do at the museum, including vintage carriages, railway memorabilia, historic photographs, and more, offering a real glimpse into the past and evolution of railway transport throughout the years.
- The museum is a great visit for kids and their families or a school trip as education is actively promoted at the museum.
Food: The Fuzzy Beak (Irish), The Lighthouse Bistro (Irish), Springsteen’s Diner (American), and the Whistle Stop (Café).
Drink: The Whitecliff Inn, Marine Bar, Ownies Bar and Bistro.
Your questions answered about Whitehead Railway Museum
What is the largest railway museum in the UK?
The largest in the UK is the National Railway Museum in York.
Where is Whitehead Railway Station?
The museum is located in Carrickfergus, County Antrim.
How old is Whitehead Railway Museum?
Whitehead Railway Museum opened in 2017.
Contact and more info
Address: Castleview Rd, Whitehead, Carrickfergus BT38 9NA
Email: [email protected]
Price: Adults £7, Children (3-16 years old) £5, family ticket £20. Check the museum’s website for group and education deals.
Opening hours: The museum is only open from Thursday to Saturday, 10 am to 2:30 pm (last entry).