The USA loves to go big or go home when it comes to celebrating St Patrick’s Day, and these are the biggest parades that you need to see.
St Patrick’s Day is when many countries in the world pay homage to their Irish roots; even if they have no direct connection to Ireland, many love to participate in the festivities, which are guaranteed to be fun and atmospheric.
While there are plenty of big St Patrick’s Day parades worldwide to attend, the USA likes to take it to the next level, and we absolutely love this.
So, if you plan to spend this St Patrick’s Day across the pond, check out these ten biggest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the USA.
Ireland Before You Die’s top tips for St Patrick’s Day parades in the USA
- St Patrick’s Day parades in cities across America can get extremely busy, and quick! So, head down early to make sure you get a good viewing spot for the day.
- Embrace the spirit and tradition of St Patrick’s Day by wearing green clothing and accessories.
- As St Patrick’s Day falls on 17 March, the weather can be bad or variable, depending on where you are! So, plan accordingly and prepare for the worst.
- You should think about using public transportation to get to the parade. Parking could turn out to be a nightmare because of how busy it is, so to avoid any hassle get public transportation.
- Finally, embrace Irish tradition with its customs and origins and culture throughout the day! Head to local Irish pubs, have a few pints of Irish drinks, enjoy any cultural events and eat at any Irish restaurants.
10. Detroit – a place with many Irish residents
Detroit has a large Irish community, so much so that the parade is even held in the Irish neighbourhood called Corktown, named because many of its residents hailed from Cork.
The big parade begins at Irish Plaza and continues down Michigan Avenue, so be part of the 100,000 attendees.
9. Denver – a whopping four-hour-long parade
As a result, you can expect one of the best and biggest parades here each year. The parade attracts more than 400,000 people and lasts for four hours.
8. Philadelphia – a parade over 250 years old
Philadelphia has one of the oldest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the country and one of the largest. This makes it a top destination for celebrating this year.
For over 250 years, this bustling city has been going to great lengths to make this parade one of the best – and that it is!
7. Atlanta – a parade full of action
Atlanta is well known for having the busiest airport in the world, but on St. Patrick’s Day, the entire city gets busy celebrating St. Patrick.
This showstopper includes mesmerizing floats, music, and dancers and does not miss the five-story high St. Patrick balloon – but how could you miss that?
6. New Orleans – an unmissable city for the big day
New Orleans is home to one of the biggest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the USA, and what a place to experience the big event.
This stunning city is a fantastic backdrop for plenty of action, including dancers from all over Louisiana, floats, music, and so much more, so add this to your list of destinations.
5. San Antonio – where the river turns green
Texas is known for being the lone star state, one of the friendliest US states, and this is where one of the biggest and best St. Patrick’s Day parades is held each year.
Texans love to go big or go home, so attending the San Antonio parade won’t disappoint you, especially with the crowds going wild as the river is dyed green.
4. Savannah – one of the biggest St Patrick’s Day parades in the USA
This Paddy’s Day parade is one of the largest in the country and one of the most beautiful settings for celebrating all things Irish.
This city in Georgia has been celebrating the event for many years, and the exciting parade, which starts around 10 am, weaves through the Historic District.
3. Boston – one of the oldest parades in the country
With over a million spectators each year, Boston has one of the biggest and best parades in the USA, highlighting the Celtic connection between Boston and Ireland.
Boston is one of the main cities where a sense of Irishness is always alive, with plenty of Irish flags flying and Irish bars galore, so this has to be a place to celebrate when in the States.
2. Chicago – one of the largest parades in the USA
Chicago, Illinois, is famous for dying its river green every St. Patrick’s Day and having one of the biggest parades in the country.
If you are searching for a great atmosphere, plenty of green beer and a whole host of activities, then you need to attend this parade which has been going strong since 1858.
1. New York City – a city with many Irish connections
The biggest St. Patrick’s day parade in the USA is in New York City, and what a place to celebrate all things Irish.
This city is iconic for having many people with Irish connections, so you will experience an authentic Irish celebration in this bustling city, which attracts over two million visitors yearly and is host to these ten incredible Irish pubs.
So, if you are stateside this year, check out one of the biggest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the USA to celebrate in style. For more, see our article on the biggest St. Patrick’s Day parades around the world.
Your questions answered about the biggest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the USA
Below, we have outlined some of the most frequently asked questions from our readers and from online about the biggest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the USA.
In what South American country is the largest St Patrick’s Day parade held?
The largest St Patrick’s Day parade in South America is held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Which US city celebrates St Patrick’s Day the most?
New York City and Boston both celebrate St Patrick’s Day well, but so does Chicago. The city dyes its river green.
Is Boston or New York better for St Patrick’s Day?
We have opted with New York City as better for St Patrick’s Day. However, Boston is also fantastic and is steeped in rich Irish tradition.
What is the second largest St Patrick’s Day celebration in the world?
This would be Dublin, which comes behind only New York City.
MORE IB4UD ARTICLES ON ST PATRICK’S DAY
Find Your Dream Hotel in Ireland
On the hunt for the ultimate hotel for your Irish adventure? Explore a curated selection ranging from the charming heritage of boutique accommodations in Dublin's vibrant heart to the tranquil luxury of rural retreats and the captivating coastal vistas. Start your search below to find the perfect stay with our trusted hotel partner.