Emerald Green Media Ltd is the parent company of several influential websites, including Ireland Before You Die and Meanwhile in Ireland.
These websites began as far back as 2014, but Emerald Green Media was founded in 2019 to bring them all under one company.
Ireland Before You Die (IB4UD) is our main website, and it is Ireland’s most popular independent travel and culture website.
Meanwhile in Ireland is one of Ireland’s biggest satirical news websites.
We are recruiting for an Assistant Editor to join our team in our Belfast office.
The successful candidate will work closely with our team on an exciting mix of projects spanning a variety of digital channels.
Working alongside our Editor, the successful candidate will produce engaging editorial, including regular articles for all three of Emerald Green Media’s websites.
The role will require you to:
- Proofread and edit articles by our team of freelance writers
- Give feedback to writers
- Source images for each article and publish articles
- Write regular travel articles for our site
- Come up with ideas for new articles which our followers will love
- Find and recruit new writers for the site
- Go on press trips and content creation trips around Ireland
The Successful Candidate Will Have
- A degree-level education, ideally relating to journalism or English language
- A genuine passion and love for both Ireland and travelling
- An excellent attention to detail
- Creativity and ideas to drive our website forward
- The ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, while remaining calm under pressure
- You should be a team player with excellent communication skills
- A “good eye” for photography an article
- Prioritising the important stories of the day and how they should be delivered will come naturally to you
- The ability to write excellent travel articles
- The ability to come up with ideas for interesting articles and to assign the task to one of our writers
- The ability to work in a start-up environment and to do things outside the realm of normal daily activities
- The confidence to try new things and to push yourself
- The ability to see criticism as a tool to help you constantly improve and to become better
Salary and Benefits
- £9.50 an hour
- Office in Belfast City Centre
- Option to work from home one day a week
- Once a month team bonding activities
- Press trips to places around Ireland for content creation
- At least 14 hours per week (2 days a week)
- It will be a three-month rolling contract with the view to becoming permanent
- Interviews will take place in July with the view to start the role by early August
This position has now been filled but if you feel you match the criteria and would like to be considered for future jobs in this area, please email your CV and a cover note explaining how you meet the criteria to [email protected].