Galway is one of Ireland’s most beautiful and cultural counties. We have outlined ten facts below you might not have known about this place.
1. Galway City is the third largest city in the Republic of Ireland (a population of 75,414).
2. Galway is home to the longest place name in Ireland, Muckanaghederdauhaulia, which means “piggery between two briny places”.
3. Galway City is nicknamed “The City of Tribes” after the fourteen merchant families who led the city during the Hiberno-Norman period.
4. The most famous person born in Galway is Hollywood actor Peter O’Toole. O’Toole holds the world record for Oscar nominations without actually winning (eight).
5. The Claddagh Ring is Galway’s own symbol of love and friendship, worn the world over.
Page 1 2
We take our photos with this camera: Nikon D3300 Digital SLR Camera - Click here to view
Share this article: